The week of July 10-16 Restoration will be send a team of three people to San Pedro, Belize. We will fly into Belize City and then take a small prop plane to San Pedro located on the island of Ambergris Caye. We plan to bring with us much-needed supplies for Holy Cross Anglican School. During the week, we will spend our days in the town of San Mateo. San Mateo is designated one of the poorest regions in Belize.
In the middle of the town, there is a small blue church that is within walking distance from the school. We will connect with the woman who oversees the church to discern their needs and how we can best serve in the community. I have no doubt that God has something special planned for all.
Holy Cross Anglican School was begun by two missionaries, Francis and Vernon Wilson, who were working in Belize City and traveled to the island of Ambergris Caye for a rest. Once there, they saw a tremendous need for a school for the children of San Mateo and surrounding area. You see, the regional public school was full so the children of San Mateo had nowhere to go to be educated. They were in need of medical care as well. Francis and Vernon founded the school in 2006. Since that time, additions to the school have been made and it now serves 440 children in preschool through eighth grade. Holy Cross also provides dental care for its students, thanks to traveling dental mission teams. Holy Cross has an amazing history as both the school and local town of San Mateo were built on a dump and muddy lagoon. I invite you to visit their web site to fully understand what an amazing impact they have had on the local community.
Holy Cross is only able to provide education and medical services to the families of the community because of generous financial donations, supplies brought in by mission teams visiting the school, and volunteers who provide maintenance and meet other needs at the school. Trust me, the needs are great.
Last year Restoration sent a team of fourteen to San Pedro, Belize. We provided a VBS at Holy Cross for the local children in the mornings and did some much-needed painting of the school buildings in the afternoons. Some of the men on our team even helped construct the new eighth grade classroom. Through a generous donation the team was also able to sponsor a child, Tivany Milligan, for this past year of high school.
The way the school provides for the children of San Mateo really had an impact on us, not to mention the sweet, wonderful children we were able to meet last year. They really stole our hearts and we hope we will be able to see some of those children again this year.
I have three requests to ask of you all at Restoration as we prepare to leave:
- Our team of three needs prayer. Pray for health and protection for our families and us. Pray for the hearts of the people God is preparing us to meet. Pray for all those little details that need to fall into place as we prepare to go. Our team is made up of Bill and Karyn Ward, and Karen Giardina.
- For the next three Sundays we will be collecting donations to take with us to Holy Cross School. Would you please consider purchasing something on the list and bringing it to worship next Sunday?
- Gummy vitamins for adults
- Adult Vitamin C gummies
- Tennis shoes size Youth 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- Sewing machine needles (all sizes)
- Sterile gauze pads and tape
- Ribbon (all colors and widths)
- Pipe cleaners
- Large googly eyes
- Coloring books
- Would you consider making a financial donation? We will need to buy supplies once we are there. Any extra money will be donated to the school – we would love for Restoration to sponsor one child for a year of school. The cost is only $450 for the year. That is only $37.50 a month.
We are very excited about what God is planning for us in Belize.
“ Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.” 1 John 4:7